From 1884 to 1932 all events and competitions against other clubs took place in the River Colne.
Being river water the temperature at times was quite cold, and in times of drought the water level was very low, but these circumstances did not deter the enthusiasm of the Members.
During these years canvassing was carried out for a covered indoor pool, but the Club and people of Colchester had to settle for the next best thing, an open air pool sited on the old bathing place, which was opened in 1932.
In 1934 the Club was able to obtain the services of a professional
coach, and training under her direction took place on Sunday mornings
and afternoons. Obviously at that time the present day floats were not
so the heavy duck boards from the changing rooms were used instead.
The Social side of the Club was very active and to generate funds monthly club dances were held, which were very popular. They continued until the first year of the war, when the profits were donated to troop comforts and the local hospital. Until after the war, the Office of Club President was held by the sitting Mayor of Colchester.
Since then (until 1990) the President has been the MP for Colchester.